The village is borded by the Keszthely and Szigliget bay.
The village was inhabited in the prehistoric age as well, as the founded archeological findings prove it. The archeoligist found here stone hatchet from the stone age and copper axe from the 3rd century B.C. They found roman settlement and bath relics from the 3rd century A.C. from several hundred meters of the Balaton lake, next to the Szépkilátó. The middle age village was built to the relics of the roman age settlement. The name of the village was mentioned first in the founder letter of the Almádi Abbey (nowdays Monostorapáti) from 1121. It’s naming probably comes from Gyürk, the son of the voivode of Szigliget (II. Atyus voivode).
The villgage remained relatively in safety during the Turk era. We can hear about the village as Meszes Györök in 1969. This name comes due to the inhabitants who, next to fishing, handled with lime burning. The village get to the property of the Festetics family in 1734.
On the beginning of the 20th century the village changed. Bathers appeared here in these days, the railway was constructed in 1902 and after five years the beach was finished as well. The basic area for the beach was donated by II. Festetics Tasziló, but he kept his proprietary rights. The landscaping of the beach get started in 1910 and Lady Hamilton, Festetics Tasziló’s wife planted the planes in these years too. The village get his name, Balatongyörök in these times
The bath camp was pronounced as a holiday resort in 1920 and the pier was constructed in 1932.
The village stand once from one street began to develop thanks to the beach. A separated parish building, new streets came into life and new villas were built. The village won the Prix d’Honneur in 1990, an award donated to the most beautiful european village.